A bit about me...

Hello, hello! I am a substitute teacher with Mobile County Public School Systems and a full-time student at the University of South Alabama. I am working on my Bachelor's degree in Physical Education and hope to coach volleyball in addition to teaching. I have been a wife and mother for the past twenty years. My "career" began as a soldier in the United States Army and has included such jobs as Bookeeper and Medical Office Manager. I have also volunteered with the American Red Cross and the Girl Scouts and I referee high school volleyball. I am looking forward to teaching!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Set the Example

I am thirty-nine years old, five foot three inches tall, and weigh one hundred sixty-five pounds. Due to genetics, I carry most of my weight in muscle and, therefore, do not look like I weigh what I do. I do, however, also carry an unspecified amount of body fat that is neither healthy nor desirable. It is especially not desirable, in my opinion, for a Physical Education teacher. I firmly believe that, if anyone should, P.E. teachers should practice what they preach - and they should preach good health and an active lifestyle. Americans are obese in epic numbers and need to be educated and geared towards more healthy, active lifestyles. We must start with our students to ensure healthier adults in the future and we P.E. teachers MUST set a good example. What kind of image does an overweight, inactive P.E. teacher give to kids looking for someone to emulate? Definitely the wrong one, I say. I, for one, intend to start with myself so I can give my students the right idea of how to live a healthy and active life.

1 comment:

  1. At times when we learn, we need the kind of help we do not even know we need. These biology flashcards were one such deal for me.

    ReplyDelete