A bit about me...

Hello, hello! I am a substitute teacher with Mobile County Public School Systems and a full-time student at the University of South Alabama. I am working on my Bachelor's degree in Physical Education and hope to coach volleyball in addition to teaching. I have been a wife and mother for the past twenty years. My "career" began as a soldier in the United States Army and has included such jobs as Bookeeper and Medical Office Manager. I have also volunteered with the American Red Cross and the Girl Scouts and I referee high school volleyball. I am looking forward to teaching!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nutrition Counts - Get Them Counting

According to statistics from Anne Collins' website annecollins.com, 25% of white children and 33% of African American children were overweight in 2001. With these kind of statistics, it is easy to see that American children are eating, but not correctly for good health. Physical education teachers should make it a priority to instruct their students how to eat in a healthy manner. There are tons of resources available, such as MyPyramid.gov, that have a wealth of information for healthy eating habits. I think it will be very important to make nutrition a part of my physical education curriculum when I get to that point. I want to not only teach my students great activities that will help them be healthy, but also teach them how to eat right for their lifetimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment